Snacking after bariatric surgery can be controversial. Some surgeons do not recommend snacking after weight-loss surgery while others find it helpful while you adjust to your new post-op lifestyle. However, everyone agrees that if you do snack, you need to have a plan so you do not end up making unhealthy choices.
Having healthy snacking options available at work especially can help prevent you from succumbing to unhealthy temptations around the office. Having healthy snacks on hand can also help you stay fueled when you are in the middle of a big project and cannot leave the office or you feel your blood sugar dropping.
There are many great, healthy snacks out there. However, it all boils down to choice. Is it worth eating? You need to evaluate each food choice as to whether it takes you toward your goals or away from them. Here are some healthy snacking tips and ideas to help you succeed with your weight-loss goals:
Healthy Snack Tips:
- Choose nutrient-rich food without excessive calories
- Focus on low-carb, high protein
- Avoid liquids (especially juice and soda)
- Eat slowly and chew thoroughly
Healthy Snack Ideas:
- 2 Tbsp. of hummus with celery or carrots
- 2 oz. of deli meat (turkey, chicken or ham) and mustard rolled up in lettuce
- 1 Tbsp. of peanut butter with celery
- Beef jerky
- 4 oz. of low-fat yogurt and 1 cup of sliced peaches
- 2 scrambled eggs
- 1 sliced apple with 2 tbsp. of cashew butter
At Garden State Bariatrics, we understand eating can be tricky after weight-loss surgery. Diversity of diet and options can be critical to your health success. If you are struggling or just want to learn more about nutrition, do not hesitate to contact us with any questions. Consulting a registered dietitian can help you understand the best options for your lifestyle. Call us today with any questions regarding your post-op nutrition and eating.
Are You a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?
Take our 60 second assessment and find out if you are a candidate for weight loss surgery